Friday, March 18, 2011

Two Scoops, Please


Last night we fed the missionaries - 4 strong, handsome young men with hearty appetites. In honor of St. Paddy's Day we cooked up some corned beef with cabbage for grinders and made a big pot of colcannon. Dessert was going to be a lovely lime zest and pistachio affair ala Martha Stewart but I couldn't find the specialty cheese required. Plan B ended up being a rich chocolate cake and a scoop of Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream, with hot sauce drizzled on top. Not very Irish, but nobody was complaining.
Ben and Jerry Ayrel were helping me serve, with Ben scooping up the ice cream. Since I couldn't justify buying more than one container at almost $5 the scoops were on the verge of being skimpy, and there was barely one extra scoop left. I told Ben he had earned it, and placed his dessert at his setting next to Kris. A few moments later when we sat down to eat dessert Ayrel noticed that Kris was eating Ben's plate and that the serving with one scoop that had been placed in front of Kris was at Ben's seat.

Hmmmm. I don't think even Leprechauns are that sneaky!

1 comment: