Almost immediately after I returned from Tulsa he showed me how the strap on one of his shoes had broken. Since shoe shopping has been quite a challenge in the past I was kind of dreading the experience, but today we found 4 pair of shoes that he really liked. When asked which pair he wanted, he immediately chose the black pair with blue trim that I secretly hoped he would. He thanked me for them 3 different times between the store and home, and was quite excited to show them to Keven.
~ ~ ~
"Well, hello!" said the highway patrolman.
"Oohhhhhh," said Kris. "It's you. I've seen you before. My cousin Jeff was a policeman and my Uncle Kim too, and ....." and he was off!
These two kind men stood and listened to him go on and on, throwing in a few comments and asking questions when they could. Initially I thought that the younger one might have already met Kris at Circle K or something, but eventually realized that this was the first time. Kris was just so excited about the uniforms and the connection to his cousin and uncle that he must have felt an instant kinship. I really appreciated the time and interest they took in him, and their natural ability to talk with him. He beamed all the way home, continuing to talk about Jeff and Kim and everything else that came to his mind.
~ ~ ~
When I went to put something away in the pantry this afternoon I noticed a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke, already opened, on the floor.
"Hmmmm, where did this come from?" I asked out loud.
Kris looked concerned.
"Have you seen it before?" I asked him.
"It was in the street, somebody left it there. Still good."
"Did you bring it home when you went to Circle K yesterday?"
"Yep. Maybe my brother wants it."
No comments:
Post a Comment